The most common reason for this is that you used the file named applicationform_maot2019u.xls which includes a user form to fill in the data. Some servers do block files with such user forms. Please try to use the file without the user form which you also find on the website. If the problems continue please contact the MAOT office.
Do not apply at the Campo platform unless you are asked to do so by the MAOT office. The first application has always be done via e-mail to MAOT. It does not increase the chances to be admitted if you apply at the Campo platform.
MAOT is part of the Max Planck School of Photonics (MPSP). Students who enter the MPSP with a Bachelor degree will study MAOT or another master course (in Jena or Karlsruhe) during the MPSP qualifcation phase. The MAOT office is involved in the evaluation process of applications to MPSP. An admission to MPSP will also lead to an admission to MAOT.
However, you can also apply directly to MAOT. The application demands are similar but not entirely the same.
- If you feel fit to meet the demands of the MPSP school we recommend to apply there as an admission to MPSP includes a scholarship which MAOT cannot provide. You can name MAOT as your favourite master course for the MPSP qualification phase. It is not guaranteed, though, that you would actually study MAOT if you are admitted.
- If you are rejected by MPSP you can still apply to MAOT. You will not be automatically rejected but your application will be evaluated as any other application with the same chances for admission. Please note: you still had to follow all instructions for the application to MAOT. The MPSP applicaiton cannot be just forwarded.
- If you do not feel fit for the demands of MPSP at this time you can yet apply for MAOT. You can still apply for MPSP after graduation from MAOT provided that you graduate with very good results.
Yes, this is possible. Many applicants are still in the fifth semester of their Bachelor course at the time of their application. They can apply with an up-to-date transcript of records which shows all courses they completed and grades they achieved.
In case of an admission, however, it will be necessary to provide the Bachelor degree at the time of the matriculation (in about September/October). In individual cases this deadline for the submission of the degree can be extended. Contact the MAOT office.
A Bachelor in physics or a relevant engineering subject qualifies you for applying for MAOT. The most common previous degrees of our actual students are physics, electrical engineering (including related programmes such as telecommunication) or an already optic specific course. However, we also admitted students with very various backgrounds. Please find a list with previuos Bachelor degrees of actual students:
- Avionics engineering
- Biomedical engineering
- Computer science
- Vehicle technology
- International production engineering
- Life science engineering
- Materials science
- Sustainable energy engineering
- Thermal power engineering
If the previous university degree was completed in English it is not necessary to submit a further certificate about English language skills. Otherwise a certificate of TOEFL ibt with a score of at least 85 points or an IELTS score of at least 5.0 must be provided. The command of English during a telephone interview will also be taken into account.
The level of grades should be equivalent to the German ‘2.0’ (‘good’). The grades of an applicant will be considered in the framework of his national grading system and publicly avalaible information about the commin grading there. If applicants provide any official (!) information about the grading system in their country or at their university this will be considered.
In the first step of the the application process documents do not have to be officially recognised.
In case you are requested to proceed to the second step, however, it will be necessary to submit officially recognised documents. At the time of the matriculation (September / October) it is compulsory to provide the very originals of all documents (in the original language and in a officially recognised translation if the originals are not in German or English).
There are several options and it depends on the kind of document and in some cases country-specific demands. The most common institutions for the recognition of document are:
- officially recognised translator
No, there is no tuition fee. You have to pay about 115 € / semester for social services. Please find more information about the costs of living here.
We do not need letters of reference as an original document. Scans of the document are fine. The scans can be submitted by the applicant or the referee. There is no template for letters of reference. The referees are free to design the letters.