Applicants must hold a bachelor’s degree in
- physics or
- a relevant engineering subject.
Below is a provisional list of the required documents :
- Curriculum vitae
- Scans of the certificates and transcripts of all academic degrees
- Scan of the high school diploma or certificate of secondary school education
- Proof of adequate English language skills. This can be obtained through English courses completed at secondary schoool or during university studies, experience with English speaking programmes, stays abroad or an international qualification such as Toefl or IELTS (Toefl code: 8265). An international certificate is not (!) mandatory. There is no specific threshold for English language skills, but in the recent years the minimum level of the applicants being admitted was generally approximately equivalent to IELTS 5.5 or Toefl IBT 90.
The final list of required documents will be specified during the application process.
Proof of German language skills is not required.
Application via ‚Campo‘
- Applications are submitted via the FAU application platform www.campo.fau.de
- The application period started 9 February 2023.
- Applications must be submitted by 15 July 2023.
Important note for international applicants (only non-EU): International applicants are strongly requested to apply as early as possible, if any possible by 15 April 2023. Later applications will be processed, and a late application will not reduce the chances of being admitted. However, a late application will make it very dificult to realise the actual start of studies for the the winter term 2023/24 in case of admission. In particular, the visa application process after admission can take several months!
The evaluation comprises two stages:
- Academic evaluation by the MAOT office
- Formal evaluation by the master addmission office
- Applicants will be informed several weeks after submitting their application whether they will be invited for a telephone interview or not (FYI: in recent years, usually about 20-25% of the applicants were invited for an interview).
Applicants who do not receive an invitation cannot be considered for the programme. They will be informed about this on the Campo platform. Please do not contact us regarding the status of your application but wait until we contact you.
- Interviewed candidates will be informed about the results of the academic evaluation after the interview. This can take up to several weeks after the interview. In case of a positive evaluation the second step is the formal review.
Interviews will only be scheduled in the following time periods:
- 16-24 March
- 19-25 April
- 8-17 May
- 17-26 July
Applications ariving after 30 April will only be considered for the interviews in July.
- The master admission office conducts a formal review of the applicant’s documents, which has been positively evaluated academically. If the formal requirements are met, the master admission office issues the admission letter, which is a prerequisite for the visa applications. The admission letter is made available on Campo.
- For both stages, all documents can be submitted electronically via Campo and copies do not have to be authorised. For enrolment in case of an admission (early August to mid October) authorised hard copies will have to be submitted.
- Provided the candidates followed the applicaton requirements thoroughly rejection on the basis of the formal evaluation is very rare.