Cost & Insurance
- There is no tuition fee, but about 120 € for student services per semester.
- Living expenses in Erlangen amount to about 600 to 900 € per month. The actual amount particularly depends on the expenses for the accommodation. For more details go to this page.
- For both enrolment with the University and residence permit it is compulsory to take out a health insurance. It is available for about 80 € per month (already included in the above calculated living expenses).
MAOT cannot provide scholarships for students. Once a student arrived in Erlangen he/she can apply for a job at the university insitutes or other research institutions . Usually most of the studens who are searching for a job do find one eventually. This, however, can take about three to six months and the salary does often not cover the entire living expenses or the whole amount of financial means demanded for a residence permit.
Unfortunately it is not easy to find a scholarship in Germany for international students. Firstly, scholarships are not frequent in Germany in general. Secondly, most of the programmes require good German language skills.
The following list summarizes some information about existing programmes:
- Apply for Scholarships at the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) – the biggest provider of scholarships in Germany
- Scholarships from SPIE – the international society for optics and photonics
- The homepage of a consortium of scholarship providers: stipendium plus
- German homepage of the Assosciation of German Foundation. Many of them support students in different ways. Search in a database (topic “Service/Stiftungssuche”) of more than 4.000 foundations.
- A private database for German scholarships mystipendium.de (in German)
- A private database for international scholarships: International College scholarship search
- An overview provided by the public broadcast station “Deutsche Welle”
- A collection of links at the page of the Technical University of Munich